Let students have some say in what they have to study!



A few years ago, my former high school teacher informed me that the school principal had decided to discontinue one of the most important subject at Central High School in Providence. It was a course that deeply influenced me in learning more on different religions, cultures, and beliefs. The class was called multicultural studies- a subject that focused on diversity and embracing and celebrating all individuals. Multicultural studies class was a safe place for students to be themselves and to share their inner thoughts and views on the world. No student felt discriminated nor isolated. We were like a family.
I could not understand as to why the principal or even the school system would allow this unnecessary change to be made. The devastating news led me to develop an online petition and to spread the word with former and current Central High School students. During after-school hours, the students and I would stand outside of the school to continue to spread the word. As a team, we had received close to 250 signatures in which brought us to our next step.
We attended the Providence School Committee to address the issue. I poured my heart and soul in front of the committee members hoping they would hear us out. We also presented hard copy testimonials for each committee member. The team and I left the meeting with confidence and reassurance. After our presentation, there was no way they would remove the course.
I was wrong. So wrong.
A week after the committee, we were informed that multicultural studies will be permanently removed beginning in the next academic year. Our voices were completely ignored and was thrown to the curb. I never felt so defeated in my life. But it was actually the very first time where I witnessed injustice. It was totally unfair for the teacher, for the students, and for me. It was SO HARD for me to wrap this news around my head. Like how? After hearing our reasoning for keeping the class, why would you still remove it? After having concerned students take an afternoon to attend a public committee? It was totally unfair.
My experience of injustice connects to other people who may have faced similar challenges. For instance, the Providence Student Union (PSU), a non-profit organization that is dedicated in fighting injustice like in the Providence Public School System. PSU is a group of high school students who are empowering activists and stands up for justice.


petition is no longer active, but could check out the comments: https://www.change.org/p/save-multicultural-studies

Comments

  1. Hey! You did a great job on your blog post! Many activities and programs that are not in the budget of the school often get cut. Many students around the country have had a similar experience as you did. I know the school in my town had a program where students would plan a project like renovating an old building and things like that. In the past they cut that program and I believe it is going to come back to the school, so hopefully the multicultural studies come back to your high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesss girl, Iove this post. It is so powerful and I really envy all the important work you do within the community! Our major promotes advocacy for underrepresented groups and it is so relevant :)
    Would love to join you on an event in the future girl. Have a great weekend ! !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stereotypes about Young People

"PLAY is the work of Childhood" -Jean Piaget