Youth Work Autobiography



As a child, I dreamed of having my own bilingual elementary classroom, teaching and introducing my students to new materials and life-learning adventures. I was always certain that one day I was going to become this amazing teacher. But all those dreams and visions gradually dispersed as I gained new learning materials in prerequisite education courses at Rhode Island College. The courses were not fulfilling to my heart and mind. I could not find the passion during the long-hours of mediocre lectures until I was assigned to volunteer in a school system setting. During my volunteer work at a Providence Public Elementary School, I came across an amazing after-school program called ‘The Walking School Bus.’ Basically, adult volunteers safely walk and monitor students to and from school. Their mission was to create a safe route for youth and decrease chronic absenteeism. Sure enough, I signed up to become a volunteer for an entire academic year. On the last day of school, the WSB director offered me the program coordinator position at another Providence Public Elementary School. Fast forward to three years, I am still part of this wonderful organization. I found my path to youth development because of volunteering. I notice the positive impact it has on students and how making a difference is all-important even in outside school settings. It is crucial to have a safe and fun space--something I would love to part be of. I want to ensure that youth have a place where they can just be kids, be listened, grow (independently), be empowered and have fun. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stereotypes about Young People

"PLAY is the work of Childhood" -Jean Piaget

Let students have some say in what they have to study!